All positions are full at this time. Thanks for your interest.
POSITION: Museum Store Associate *CLOSED*
REPORTS TO: Museum Store Manager
STATUS: PT, Hourly, Non-exempt
HOURS: Hours vary between 15-25 per week; weekend availability required and some evenings
REPORTS TO: Museum Store Manager
The Museum Store Associate is the face of the museum. This position is the liaison between the public and the Museum’s exhibitions. The Associate must be able to communicate in positive and engaging ways visitors and potential visitors. This position provides exceptional customer service to enhance the visitor experience. The associate is responsible for merchandise sales, ticket and membership sales. A professional demeanor is expected at all times, with strong work ethic, high energy and enthusiasm.
- Maintain an orderly admission desk area, ensuring all paperwork is in order, brochure racks filled and that the area is clean and organized.
- Sell admission tickets, store merchandise and memberships and handle cash and credit card transactions.
- Provide information to visitors about the museum, exhibitions and programs, answer questions and provide brochures and handouts.
- Provide a brief oral orientation of the museum to visitors and groups as needed.
- Promote and sell Museum memberships.
- Appropriately greet special guests/contractors and ensure they are welcomed and routed according to the nature of their visit.
- Answer phone calls within 3 rings, providing visitor information and routing callers to appropriate extension; take messaged as needed.
- Learn about Balboa Park amenities, other museum offerings, etc. to answer visitor inquiries
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment.
- Maintain a positive attitude and show respect to all customers, visitors and staff members.
- Be familiar with merchandise and be able to answer customers’ questions about items in inventory.
- Performs opening and closing store duties: receive, tag and display merchandise, organize store and storeroom
- Work Special Events and Exhibit Change as requested.
Special Events: This area of the position reports to the Facilities Manager. Special Events require evening and night hours. Duties include: help move vehicles, set up tables and chairs, secure and maintain safe environment during event as well as clean event space and any other tasks as needed.
Exhibit Change: This area of the position reports to Creative Director, Education Director and or Facilities Manager. Exhibit Change requires morning, evening and night hours. Duties include: help with moving vehicles, remove and install graphics, creatively arrange memorabilia in display cases, cleaning of oil spills and other tasks as needed. The ability to climb ladders use power drills, electric staplers and other tools as needed.
Strong interpersonal skills and pleasant telephone manner
Ability to multitask, problem-solve and maintain a pleasant manner in a busy environment
Professionalism in demander and presentation
Flexibility and ability to maintain calm in stressful situations
Ability to work independently as well as part of a larger team
Energy and initiative
Weekend hours and some evening hours required
The ability to sit, reach, bend, stoop, walk, stand, climb stairs and ladders as required to perform all functions of the job and lift (or assist in lifting) objects 40lbs. on a regular basis.
Interest and proficiency in a second language other than English
POS experience a plus
High-school diploma or equivalent
Please email resume and references to CLOSED.
No phone calls or walk-ins.
We will contact only those individuals whose qualifications match the position.