Retail Sales Associate
At the San Diego Automotive Museum, the Retail Sales Associate is responsible for handling admission and sales transactions in the Museum Store. This position is the first and main contact point between the Museum and the visiting public. The Retail Sales Associate sells admission tickets, store merchandise, and memberships; maintains the stock and appearance in the Museum Gift Shop; handles cash and credit card transactions; and provides information to Museum guests.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Retail Sales Associate who:
- Is a great communicator. Assists the museum members and visitors in a friendly and courteous manner to provide an amazing visitor experience.
- Is productive. An engaged member of the team interested in the Museum operations and its history as well as Balboa Park.
- Is responsible. Arrives on time, and excels at accurate sales transactions including working with merchandise, counting money, self-starter, keeping the store neat and stocked, and closing procedures.
- Greet the public in a friendly, respectful, and courteous manner.
- Communicate clearly and openly with the museum members, visitors, and staff.
- Learn about the Museum merchandise and the history and operations of the Museum and Balboa Park and its amenities, to answer visitor inquiries.
- Sell admission tickets, store merchandise and memberships and handle cash and credit card transactions in an accurate and courteous manner.
- Provide a brief oral orientation of the museum to visitors and groups as needed.
- Promote and sell Museum memberships.
- Professionally greet special guests/contractors and ensure they are welcomed and routed according to the nature of their visit.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Experience and Skills
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Working knowledge of computers
- Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) is a plus
- Ability to understand and utilize the point of sales computers and cash management system. A minimum of six months experience desired
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated motivation to interact with the public and staff
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time at a workstation, walk, stand, climb stairs, and lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekend shifts, some nights, and some holidays
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages is a plus
- Knowledge of Balboa Park is a plus
Typical Physical Demands
Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time at a desk/workstation, walk, reach, bend, stoop, stand, climb stairs, climb ladders, and lift/carry up to 50 lbs. (or assist lifting/carrying) on a regular basis, as required to perform the functions of the job.
Typical Equipment Used
Point-of-sales register system, computer, phone, fax, copier, scanner, digital camera, etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
SDAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants, including disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era, will be considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability. If you are disabled and need accommodation in the application or interview process, please call 619-398-0303 to request such accommodations.
Hourly, part-time with weekly hours averaging approx. 25 hours per week with shifts of approx. 7-8 hours. Some evening shifts as needed and weekend and holiday availability is mandatory. Pay rate is $17.00 – $18.00 per hour. Reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Free admission to the San Diego Automotive Museum, employee discount to museum shop, discounts around Balboa Park including free admission to other museums and the zoo. Free admission to other San Diego County Museums.
Reports To: Development Manager
Days/Hours Worked: Monday through Friday; approximately 35-40 hours a week.
The Development Coordinator is an important role at the San Diego Automotive Museum (SDAM). We are seeking a candidate with a strong work ethic and a passion for making a difference in our community. The SDAM has transformed over the past three years, and we are looking for a candidate to strengthen the team and expand our bandwidth so we can continue our growth and support our programs.
This position is responsible for all aspects of development. The ideal candidate will have the ability to do grant writing and grant management within their portfolio, solicit funding from individuals and corporations, lead the monthly Cars & Coffee event hosted by the SDAM, and attend events identified as having potential donors to build relationships. This position initiates and maintains funding relationships with audiences that include foundations, corporations, and, when appropriate, government sources of funds.
Essential Job Functions:
- Identify grant-funding opportunities.
- Write, submit, and manage grant proposals and awards.
- Maintain a portfolio of $250,000 of grants throughout the year.
- Assist in developing relationships and collaborating with key stakeholders.
- Furnish prospective funders with supporting documents.
- Assist with all aspects of the administration and execution of the annual gala, THE Party in the Park.
- Responsible for securing and tracking Silent and Super Silent auctions items for The Party in the Park.
- Assist with the coordination of events & fundraising development efforts.
- Responsible for the oversight of the Museum’s monthly Cars & Coffee event.
- Assist with sending funders newsletters, thank you letters, and promote on-site tours.
- Assist with compiling annual reports.
- Maintain records in hard copies and computer databases.
- Develop and maintain external and internal reports, primarily monthly and annually, and other reports as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining and regularly updating records in Salesforce.
- Maintain proficient knowledge of San Diego Automotive Museum history and programs.
- Ability to work nights and weekends when needed.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college. Minimum two years of development experience, including donor cultivation, and writing and managing grants. Ability to perform job duties with minimal guidance or instruction.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to research, apply, and manage grant applications.
- Proficient with measuring and reaching income goals.
- Proficient with MS Office, Word, and Excel. Proficient in Salesforce is a plus.
- Knowledge of grant information sources.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong people skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to analyze project requirements.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Typical Physical Demands:
Sitting at desk/workstation, walking, standing, climbing stairs, lifting/carrying (up to 40lbs). Regular use of a computer, printer, telephone, and fax machine.
The San Diego Automotive Museum in Balboa Park is home to an outstanding collection of motorized vehicles with the mission to tell the story of the social and technological past, present, and future of motorized vehicles throughout its collections, exhibitions, and educational programs. Our collection is always changing and evolving.
The Museum opened in December of 1988 and is a nonprofit corporation under section 501(c)(3). At the San Diego Automotive Museum, we strive to be as diverse and inclusive as the vehicles we display. Be yourself. Every race, gender, age, religion, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, and life experience is valued and celebrated here. Everyone is welcome, accepted, and respected.