Retail Sales Associate
Days/Hours Worked: Hours and days of week vary; approximately 25 hours a week. Saturday and Sunday availability is required.
The San Diego Automotive Museum, located in San Diego's beautiful and iconic Balboa Park, is the premier destination for automotive history at it's best and most iconic. The Mission of the San Diego Automotive Museum™ is to tell the story of the social and technological past, present, and future of motorized vehicles throughout its collections, exhibitions, and educational programs.
At the San Diego Automotive Museum, the Retail Sales Associate is responsible for handling admission and sales transactions in the Museum Store. This position is the first and main contact point between the Museum and the visiting public. The Retail Sales Associate sells admission tickets, store merchandise, and memberships; maintains the stock and appearance in the Museum Gift Shop; handles cash and credit card transactions; and provides information to Museum guests.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Retail Sales Associate who:
- Is a great communicator. Assists the museum members and visitors in a friendly and courteous manner to provide an amazing visitor experience.
- Is productive. An engaged member of the team interested in the Museum operations and its history as well as Balboa Park.
- Is a self starter.
- Is responsible. Arrives on time, and excels at accurate sales transactions including working with merchandise, counting money, keeping the store neat and stocked, and closing procedures.
- Greet the public in a friendly, respectful, and courteous manner.
- Communicate clearly and openly with the museum members, visitors, and staff.
- Learn about the Museum merchandise and the history and operations of the Museum and Balboa Park and its amenities, to answer visitor inquiries.
- Sell admission tickets, store merchandise and memberships and handle cash and credit card transactions in an accurate and courteous manner.
- Provide a brief oral orientation of the museum to visitors and groups as needed.
- Promote and sell Museum memberships.
- Professionally greet special guests/contractors and ensure they are welcomed and routed according to the nature of their visit.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Experience and Skills
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Working knowledge of computers
- Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) is a plus
- Ability to understand and utilize the point of sales computers and cash management system. A minimum of six months experience required
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated motivation to interact with the public and staff
- Must be able to work weekend shifts, some nights, and some holidays
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages is a plus
- Knowledge of Balboa Park is a plus
Typical Physical Demands
Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time at a desk/workstation, walk, reach, bend, stoop, stand, climb stairs, climb ladders, and lift/carry up to 50 lbs. (or assist lifting/carrying) on a regular basis, as required to perform the functions of the job.
Typical Equipment Used
Point-of-sales register system, computer, phone, fax, copier, scanner, digital camera, etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
SDAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants, including disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era, will be considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability. If you are disabled and need accommodation in the application or interview process, please call 619-398-0303 to request such accommodations.
Hourly, part-time with weekly hours averaging 25 hours per week including weekend shifts, 5-8 hours per shift. Pay rate is $17.00 – $20.00 per hour.
The San Diego Automotive Museum in Balboa Park is home to an outstanding collection of motorized vehicles with the mission to tell the story of the social and technological past, present, and future of motorized vehicles throughout its collections, exhibitions, and educational programs. Our collection is always changing and evolving.
The Museum opened in December of 1988 and is a nonprofit corporation under section 501(c)(3). At the San Diego Automotive Museum, we strive to be as diverse and inclusive as the vehicles we display. Be yourself. Every race, gender, age, religion, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, and life experience is valued and celebrated here. Everyone is welcome, accepted, and respected.